Episode 337 of the CMP, a Creativity Matters Podcast
In this episode of the CMP, a review of Everyday Sketching and Drawing by Steven Reddy. This show is not a Spark show, but because it ends up falling within the Spark timeline, the intro takes a spark turn, so there is a gratitude thread and flavor to this episode. The book by Reddy is one I am very excited to share with you. I think you will really, really be inspired by Reddy’s approach and by the many, many examples. I love the curvature and roundness that I associate with his style, a certain whimsy, and I am especially appreciative of the beautiful way in which he depicts scenes that are overflowing. Whether interior scenes, urban sketching examples, or still lifes, Reddy seems to be drawn to scenes of clutter and drawing the beauty in the jumble and tumble of objects. Definitely a book for anyone interested in everyday sketching, urban sketching, or painting to check!
This book was reviewed before I talked about (or even started) the 5-minute daily sketch I am doing each morning in November, but the book ties in beautifully with how I have been thinking about that process. To hear more, catch Episode 336.
I am listing a number of urban sketching titles below. Some of these I have looked at in the past; some I have not. You will also see that Reddy has an Etsy shop via which he sells other collections of his work.
Note: I haven’t gotten my hands on this book yet, but I am seeing people talk about it and create beautiful everyday sketchbook pages based on this book. One to check! Draw Your Day: An Inspiring Guide to Keeping a Sketch Journal
Mentioned in this Episode:
- Everyday Sketching and Drawing: Five Steps to a Unique and Personal Sketchbook Habit (Steven Reddy)
- Steven Reddy Instagram
- Steven Reddy Etsy (additional collections)
- Sketching People: An Urban Sketcher’s Manual to Drawing Figures and Faces (Lynne Chapman; Episode 230)
- All Over Coffee (Paul Madonna; Episode 257)
- An Illustrated Journey: Inspiration From the Private Art Journals of Traveling Artists, Illustrators and Designers (Danny Gregory)
- The Urban Sketcher: Techniques for Seeing and Drawing on Location (Marc Taro Holmes)
- The Art of Urban Sketching: Drawing On Location Around The World (Gabriel Campanario)
- Archisketcher: Drawing Buildings, Cities and Landscapes (Simone Ridyard)
- Urban Watercolor Sketching: A Guide to Drawing, Painting, and Storytelling in Color (Felix Scheinberger)
- Quick & Lively Urban Sketching (Klaus Meier-Pauken)
- Urban Sketching For Beginners: A Beginner’s Guide to Urban Sketching
- 5-Minute Sketching — Architecture: Super-quick Techniques for Amazing Drawings (Liz Steel)
- The Urban Sketchbook: Get Out, Walk, Observe, Draw, Lose Yourself, Create
- Sketch Now, Think Later: Jump into Urban Sketching with Limited Time, Tools, and Techniques
- Urban Sketching: The Complete Guide to Techniques