Episode 349 of the CMP, a Creativity Matters Podcast
In this episode of the CMP, a review of Ladies Drawing Night and lots of discussion of the challenges of finding creative groups (or art-based meetups) in the real world. (Things probably get a bit or a lot conflated in this book…. there is a difference in just finding or making friends and in setting up or attending a creative group or having creative friends. I know. Most people already have part of that solved! I am looking at the “do it all at once” path. This may be the absolute wrong approach, but if I have to meet and greet at this point in my life, I am looking to meet and greet other creatives. I think I am alone/not alone in this.) There is a group local to me that meets once a week (in a coffee shop or somewhere similar) to draw on Saturdays. I am trying (really hard) to talk myself into showing up.
Ladies Drawing Night This is a book I think you will all find inspiring and magical as you think about how weekly art-focused get-togethers might work. I worked through my sense of being at the zoo and looking at some kind of exotic breed of socialization that is totally beyond my sense of reality — but ultimately, I think this book is wonderful, and I hope it will nudge you to put your own feelers out in your area. Tune in for a review of the book, a rundown of the creative-/art-night themes they tried and documented, and some tips and suggestions for finding or starting your own groups. Plus, a reminder about the importance of online communities, too.
Note: Before posting the show, I finally got logged in at meetup.com, and I’ve “joined” several groups. They mostly appear to be somewhat inactive, but we’ll see what happens. I think I probably am really not “group” material, and, really, I am not necessarily able to fit in “real-world” meetings. But maybe I can find someone to draw at the library with me. We wouldn’t even have to talk…. shhhh…. it’s a library!
Thank you to all of the applesauce listeners from Episode 348!
Mentioned in this Episode:
- Ladies Drawing Night: Make Art, Get Inspired, Join the Party (by Julia Rothman, Leah Goren, Rachael Cole, and Kate Edwards (Photographer)
- #ladiesdrawingnight (feed at Instagram)
- #socialsketch (schedule) (something I stumbled over after recording) posted by Courtney Cerruti, Bay Area
- #socialsketch (feed)
- How to party. Danny Gregory’s writeup of a portrait-party-type event
- Meetup (because you should take a look in your area to see what’s out there)
- Portrait Revolution: Inspiration from Around the World For Creating Art in Multiple Mediums and Styles (Julia Kay) – not mentioned, but definitely it comes to mind since I used that phrase! (At least one CMP group member is featured in this book.)
- Portrait Revolution: Inspiration, Tips and Techniques for Creating Portraits from the Artists of Julia Kay’s Portrait Party (a follow-up book)
- Typology podcast (first of two shows featuring Amy Grant)
- Guitar music: Nicholai Heidlas on SoundCloud
- Creativity Matters Group at Facebook
- oamyoamy (Instagram)
- Patreon page (Thank you to those of you who support the show!)