Episode 410 of the CMP, a Creativity Matters Podcast — illustrated journals and a short timed draw along on a Sunday
Literal patches, a patchwork aesthetic, and illustrated journaling
In this episode of the CMP, illustrated journaling (in sync with the CMP community at Facebook doing a mini-challenge this week: #illustrateyourweek) and a short draw along at the end.
Some illustrated journal talk today. It’s a common theme here on the CMP, and my approach has evolved and morphed with time, but I love the ways in which the illustrated journal has a fluidity to it and an elasticity. It can hold daily documentation, drawings, portraits, quotes, mindful patterns, lines, and the filling of space, graphic novel scenes, statistics, the juxtaposition of whimsy and reality, past and present, and more.
The draw along pick today was a teenager in a Girl Scout vest with multiple patches. I drew the portrait into my illustrated journal sketchbook, and, ironically, the box I created for the drawing meant I ended up with the face and none of the vest or patches. It was pretty funny, all in all, in a show called patches. It’s also a good example of how things sometimes go when filling boxes, filling space, and working in really fluid and freeform ways. It’s all part of giving in to the process and just enjoying whatever happens.
Short notes this week. Enjoy!
Mentioned in this Episode (or Related)
- Draw Your Day (Episode 352)
- Illustrated Journal (Episode 367)
- Dear Diary (Episode 259)
- Sketchnote (Episode 251)
- Sketchnote Selfie (Episode 261)
- Doodle Dots (Episode 309)
- Uni-Gel Alpha Shaker pencil (mine is listed as “slightly firm” – but it’s super cushy; they do come in other softness/hardness ratings. I really do love this shaker!)
- Pentel Hi-Polymer Block Eraser, Large, White (these things disappear like socks; you can never have too many white erasers lying around)
- Moleskine Art Sketchbook (what I’m using for regular drawing)
- Thick white index cards (what I’m using for Index-Card-a-Day – ICAD 2020)
- Micron Pens
- Guitar music: Nicholai Heidlas on SoundCloud
- Creativity Matters Group at Facebook
- Patreon page
- oamyoamy at Instagram
- Try Creative Bug with the Living a More Creative Life: 30 Ways in 30 Days class
- Try Trello
- Buy me a Coffee with Ko-Fi
- Amazon wishlist