Episode 412 of the CMP, a Creativity Matters Podcast — a short timed draw along on a Sunday morning
In this episode of the CMP, a short draw along on a Sunday morning. The image (from Sktchy) was of a young woman sitting at at table and looking down at a phone in her hands.
I also talk a bit about a “how to” book for kids by Ivan Brunetti, someone many of you are familiar with because of the small (but dense) Cartooning: Philosophy and Practice book and because Lynda Barry talks about him often (and we talk often about Lynda Barry here on the CMP!).
Cartooning: Philosophy and Practice contains a lot of great information to get kids started creating their own characters and telling their own stories in graphic novel format. We spent many hours in coffee shops when my oldest was younger having “artist dates.” He would work on his cartoon (graphic novel), and I worked on my own art. Encouraging cartooning at an early age is a wonderful way to support their creativity and storytelling.
Mentioned in this Episode (or Related)
- Episode 264: 4-Panel Diary
- Episode 377: Monsters Under the Desk
- Comics: Easy as ABC: The Essential Guide to Comics for Kids (Ivan Brunetti)
- Cartooning: Philosophy and Practice (Ivan Brunetti)
- Syllabus: Notes from an Accidental Professor (Lynda Barry)
- Making Comics (Lynda Barry)
- What It Is (Lynda Barry)
- Otto’s Orange Day
- Otto’s Backwards Day
- Uni-Gel Alpha Shaker pencil (mine is listed as “slightly firm” – but it’s super cushy; they do come in other softness/hardness ratings. I really do love this shaker!)
- Pentel Hi-Polymer Block Eraser, Large, White (these things disappear like socks; you can never have too many white erasers lying around)
- Moleskine Art Sketchbook (what I’m using for regular drawing)
- Thick white index cards (what I’m using for Index-Card-a-Day – ICAD 2020)
- Micron Pens
- The big Moleskine Art Sketchbook — very tempting someday!
- Guitar music: Nicholai Heidlas on SoundCloud
- Creativity Matters Group at Facebook
- Patreon page
- oamyoamy at Instagram
- Try Creative Bug with the Living a More Creative Life: 30 Ways in 30 Days class
- Try Trello
- Buy me a Coffee with Ko-Fi
- Amazon wishlist