Episode 432 of the CMP, a Creativity Matters Podcast — a holiday knitting project, five things, and some light
There was a time gap in between recording this (before Thanksgiving) and getting it out (after Thanksgiving). All I can say is I have spent far too long researching a simple piece of equipment and watching Thanksgiving-week deals.
In this episode, 5 things…. it’s a long show. First up is the saga of the My Favorite Things Cowl (or the “Toybox Cowl,” as I call it). I recorded before I started, and I have now started. So this project is underway.
The ROYGBIV Supplies series I talk about is described more fully below.
The book is Playing with Sketches: 50 Creative Exercises for Designers and Artists, by Whitney Sherman. I liked a lot of the examples in this book. I was able to check this out on Hoopla through the library. I’m sure it’s a different experience to see it in person, but I did find the mix of prompts to be good and the samples/examples really nice. (Reading from back to front made me like this book more than I thought I did when I’d started from the front. I guess that means I liked the mix of prompts in the back best. The one that caught my attention most involved drawing magazine covers.) Note: this is a 2013 title, possibly out of print. Check your library.
#IllustrateYourWeek in November and December
Listen to Episode 432
This episode is available in many of your favorite podcast players or via the YouTube video (audio only) below. I hope you will follow (subscribe) at YouTube, too. The video format makes it easy to pull the podcast up here on the site or in your YouTube app.
Mentioned in this Episode (or Related)
- ROYGBIV Supplies — red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet
- My Favorite Things Cowl
- Episode 302: Positive Intent
- Episode 430: Start Where You Are
- Episode 428: A Gratitude Mindset
- Art Before Breakfast
I have this sort of whimsical ROYGBIV Supplies series in progress, a series of color-themed posts highlighting tools and supplies. You’ll find pens, pencils, bags, blank books, and more in each color. It’s all for fun, and I hope you enjoy just seeing the colors. Maybe you are someone that likes to start out each year with a new color and some new tools and supplies all matched up. If that’s you, then you’re going to love this series. It has been a lot of fun to browse and curate these color-themed collections this week. I’ll be posting the colors separately, every day or so. Links to the individual color-themed pages are in the list above.
- Notes on large format sketchbooks
- Uni-Gel Alpha Shaker pencil (mine is listed as “slightly firm” – but it’s super cushy; they do come in other softness/hardness ratings. I really do love this shaker!)
- Pentel Hi-Polymer Block Eraser, Large, White (these things disappear like socks; you can never have too many white erasers lying around)
- Moleskine Art Sketchbook (what I’m using for regular drawing)
- Moleskine Art Sketchbook — the REALLY big one — A3 (11.75″ x 16.5″)
- Platinum Carbon Black ink (what’s in my fountain pen)
- Sktchy app for inspiration photos
- Zebra Fudes (good for filling in)
- Pentel Fudes
- Micron 08 (larger nib good for thicker lines or filling in small-medium spaces)
- Micron 01 (favorite for drawing)
- Micron Sampler
- Patreon page – support the CMP and get access to some special things
- Buy me a Coffee with Ko-Fi
- Start your shopping at Amazon here
- Amazon wishlist
- Start your shopping at Amazon with a CMP link
- Creativity Matters at YouTube (please follow!)
- Creativity Matters Group at Facebook
- oamyoamy at Instagram
- Creativity Matters Podcast at Instagram
- Try Creative Bug with the Living a More Creative Life: 30 Ways in 30 Days class
- Try Trello
- Guitar music: Nicholai Heidlas on SoundCloud