Episode 440 of the CMP, a Creativity Matters Podcast — when you wake up and think about quitting but go ahead and make a mark (literal or metaphoric) anyway…. you are stronger than you think!
Some days, you wake up with one overwhelming thought – it’s time to quit.
What I find interesting on those days is that even if you think that, your creative routine, your habit, may kick in. You might find yourself doing exactly what you woke up planning to quit, almost in spite of yourself.
Don’t second-guess this episode. In the end, it doesn’t come across quite as I intended. As I generalized, things got a little murky. It wasn’t really initially about small projects. In reality, I think it is okay to quit projects. I think it is okay to decide after trying something that it isn’t for you. And I think big projects often really do have a life cycle, a life span, a time, a place, and a season.
But some days, you wake up, and you think it’s time to quit, and the reasons are murky or are coming from outside of you or are rising to the top for the wrong reasons. On those days, I often find that quiet resistance, sticking with the habit, and pushing forward while you give yourself time to think and settle is a smarter approach.
Don’t quit rashly.
There are several books mentioned in this show…. In using up some credit last month, I followed a lot of reviews, feedback, and reading trails looking for a few titles I might really want to sink into. Several fairytale retellings were on my radar, and in looking for information about those, I found readers suggesting others in a similar vein. One of the ones I found that way is one that I really enjoyed the sample of. I’ll be reading all of these at some point: Uprooted, Spinning Silver, Bear and the Nightingale (and the others in the series). The 16-book series I started is the Realm of the Elderlings, which begins with the Farseer Trilogy. It’s by Robin Hobb, and I’m really enjoying the first book and happy knowing that there many, many months ahead of me with this series.
- Did you see that the new Diamine ink voted into existence by the Reddit community is called Writer’s Blood? That’s so cool. It’s probably a bit on the dark side for my current short list. I’m still coveting magentas and am going to have to get a bottle or something soon, and a mint to go along with it. I thought that sample some would help me choose, but I’m still not sure what the answer really is in each color for me. Dip pen may have confused things just a bit, so I’m being patient.
- We played Exit: The Pharaoh’s Tomb this week. It’s our third Exit game, and this was my favorite so far. Next up for our Spring Break and birthday splurge are The Sinister Mansion and Dead Man on The Orient Express.
- I’ve been watching Ginny and Georgia (Netflix) late at night (after an episode or two of communal watching of The Mentalist, which I am loving). Ginny and Georgia…. I really love the accent!
- I finished book 1 of The Farseer Trilogy, and I am so hooked, so very hooked.
- People change. I’ve never ever been a Reddit person, but I found a community where I can answer questions, and I’m enjoying it. I really love the challenge of figuring out a solution to someone’s problem with software!
Listen to Episode 440
(This episode is available in many of your favorite podcast players.)
Mentioned in this Episode (or Related)
- Video about using Notion (online tool) for tracking
- Books mentioned:
- Notes on large format sketchbooks
- ROYGBIV supplies: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet
- Uni-Gel Alpha Shaker pencil (mine is listed as “slightly firm” – but it’s super cushy; they do come in other softness/hardness ratings. I really do love this shaker!)
- Pentel Hi-Polymer Block Eraser, Large, White (these things disappear like socks; you can never have too many white erasers lying around)
- Moleskine Art Sketchbook (what I’m using for regular drawing and my illustrated journal)
- Moleskine Art Sketchbook — the REALLY big one — A3 (11.75″ x 16.5″)
- Platinum Carbon Black ink (what’s in my fountain pen)
- Sktchy app for inspiration photos
- Micron 08 (larger nib good for thicker lines or filling in small-medium spaces)
- Micron 01 (favorite for drawing)
- Micron Sampler
- Patreon page – support the CMP and get access to some special things
- Buy me a Coffee with Ko-Fi
- Start your shopping at Amazon here
- Amazon wishlist
- Start your shopping at Amazon with a CMP link
- Creativity Matters at YouTube (please follow!)
- Creativity Matters Group at Facebook
- oamyoamy at Instagram
- Creativity Matters Podcast at Instagram
- Try Creative Bug with the Living a More Creative Life: 30 Ways in 30 Days class
- Guitar music: Nicholai Heidlas on SoundCloud