Episode 458 of the CMP, a Creativity Matters Podcast — A Mysterious Delivery, Reading a Magical Book, Some New Year’s Reminders and Nudges for Keeping a Journal, and More
All of those things mentioned above! The book at the heart of this episode is The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and The Horse by Charlie Mackesy. (My library has it, so yours might as well.)
This book arrived unexpectedly, with no note and no explanation. It was a mystery and, in its mysteriousness, it felt magical. I ended up reading the book on a specific day that made it seem even more magical. (I do now know who sent the book. But I’m glad that I had the span of time of “not knowing.” It gave me such a wonderful experience with this book. The book is lovely, charming, heartwarming, and wise. In talking about it, a few other books or authors came to mind for various reasons: The Giving Tree, The Little Prince, Winnie the Pooh, and books by Peter Reynolds. I probably should have included The Velveteen Rabbit.
There are soapbox moments in this episode about illustrated journals as well as a gentle nudge to help you get started if you are looking to start any kind of journal habit for the year.
If you are still considering choosing a “word for the year” or setting creative intentions and making creative goals, the linked resources may be helpful.
- I am on Day 78 now of the 100 day dress challenge (from Wool&). Without a doubt, it’s been an important challenge for me. I’m SO glad I took this leap and journey. I have been chronicling my 100 separately @oamyoamy100.
- I just completed week 28 (of year 51) of weekly self-portraits. I’m still glad I’m doing this.
- I did start an “embroidery journal” for 2022. I’ve been sharing a weekly rundown (at Instagram) of the icons I’ve included at the end of each week. I’m loving the project and process.
- Some people in the CMP group at Facebook decided to read The Authenticity Project (by Clare Pooley). (I finished today and found it thought-provoking in ways that extend beyond the story itself.) I can’t wait to see what other books we decide to read together.
- #the100dayproject starts February 13. Start thinking!
- I parked next to this ice cream truck last week when I sat at the ocean and worked on my embroidery and then the notes for this episode. I think this truck had a message for me.
Thank you for listening to the CMP.
Newsletters, Mailings, and the Drawing Group
I have wiped out the old mailing list. If you are interested in receiving newsletters or learning more about drawing group opportunities, etc., please sign up.
Support the CMP
If you enjoy the podcast, I hope you will consider showing support of the Creativity Matters Podcast, I encourage you to consider:
Thank you to those of you who have supported the CMP, just as you support other creators and sources of inspiration and guidance when you buy books, sign up for paid workshops and classes, and purchase small works of art from the artists you follow. Support from some of you through the years has made the show possible.
Follow at Instagram and YouTube
Please consider following:
- OamyOamy (where I share my art)
- Creativity Matters Podcast (show information and #illustrateyourweek, #inktoportraits, and other challenges)
New to the CMP? Here are a few shows you might try:
- Snow Globe (457)
- Gratitude Cup (455)
- Five Minutes (454)
- Summer Series (445)
- When You Want to Quit (440)
- Panning for Gold (290)
- Red Sun (257)
- Here (319)
- Find a Penny (298)
- Teapots in a Tree (383)
- Slice of Life Contour (356)
- Olive Jars (436)
- Love What You Do (244)
- Illustrated Journal (367)
- The Moments within the Moments (197)
- Scroll Your Feed (362)
- View all podcasts
Listen to Episode 458
(This episode is available in many of your favorite podcast players.)
- Moleskine Art Sketchbook (what I WAS using for regular drawing and my illustrated journal)
- Moleskine Art Sketchbook (the REALLY big one — A3 (11.75″ x 16.5″ — I am now using this for my illustrated journal)
- Preppy Fountains Pen 02 – this is one of the best starter/inexpensive fountain pens you can buy!
- Preppy Fountain Pens 03 (multi set)
- Lamy Safari – always a good choice
- TWSBI Eco – my favorite fountain pen in the starter range (although I love my TWSBI Iris Vac even more)
- Dip Pen holder I’ve been using (with maru nibs)
- PILOT Iroshizuku Bottled Fountain Pen Ink (multiple color options)
- Diamine Fountain Pen Ink (multiple)
- Noodler’s Fountain Pen Ink (multiple)
- Monteverde Fountain Pen Ink (multiple)
- Colorverse Fountain Pen Ink (multiple)
- Platinum Carbon Black ink (what’s in my fountain pen)
- Sktchy app for inspiration photos
- Micron 08 (larger nib good for thicker lines or filling in small-medium spaces)
- Micron 01 (favorite for drawing)
- Micron Sampler
- Notes on large format sketchbooks
- ROYGBIV supplies: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet
- Uni-Gel Alpha Shaker pencil (mine is listed as “slightly firm” – but it’s super cushy; they do come in other softness/hardness ratings. I really do love this shaker!)
- Pentel Hi-Polymer Block Eraser, Large, White (these things disappear like socks; you can never have too many white erasers lying around)
- Patreon page – support the CMP
- Buy me a Coffee with Ko-Fi
- Start your shopping at Amazon here
- Amazon wishlist
- Start your shopping at Amazon with a CMP link
- Creativity Matters at YouTube (please follow!)
- Creativity Matters Group at Facebook
- oamyoamy at Instagram
- Creativity Matters Podcast at Instagram
- Try Creative Bug with the Living a More Creative Life: 30 Ways in 30 Days class
- Guitar music: Nicholai Heidlas on SoundCloud