Episode 459 of the CMP, a Creativity Matters Podcast — A morning parked by the ocean, a stitch journal embroidery project, and an icon a day
This show ended up being two shows. I basically chopped it in half, so be prepared. The “rest” of this show is in Episode 460. Today’s show talks about the power and freedom that can come in simply going somewhere else (outside your house) to sit for a while, messages from the universe, an ice cream truck, and the stitch journal project I am doing in 2022.
This embroidery project is one I will be working on all year, and I am really enjoying it so far. I talk briefly about some of the basics of the project, and the challenge of picking an icon each day that I can stitch at about the size of an M&M. I cover some of the things I’m not expecting from the project and some of the things I am expecting.
See the show notes for Episode 460 for a list of books that can be useful in practicing or finding simple icons for a stitch journal, icon-a-day, or other visual vocabulary building project.
- I am on Day 86 now of the 100-day dress challenge (from Wool&). The end of the official challenge is rapidly approaching, and I know deep down that I am not done with this journey. I might have only just begun. I have been chronicling my 100 separately @oamyoamy100.
- I just completed week 29 (of year 51) of weekly self-portraits in my illustrated journal. I’m still glad I’m doing this. I posted a summary look so far (26 of them) last week at Instagram and some thoughts on the process and project. In doing that, I also noticed that I might have two of them numbered the same. These errors mystify me… but they happen.
- Some people in the CMP group at Facebook decided to read The Authenticity Project (by Clare Pooley). I can’t wait to see what other books we decide to read together.
- #the100dayproject starts February 13. Start thinking!
Thank you for listening to the CMP.
Newsletters, Mailings, and the Drawing Group
I have wiped out the old mailing list. If you are interested in receiving newsletters or learning more about drawing group opportunities, etc., please sign up.
Support the CMP
If you enjoy the podcast, I hope you will consider showing support of the Creativity Matters Podcast, I encourage you to consider:
Thank you to those of you who have supported the CMP, just as you support other creators and sources of inspiration and guidance when you buy books, sign up for paid workshops and classes, and purchase small works of art from the artists you follow. Support from some of you through the years has made the show possible.
Follow at Instagram and YouTube
Please consider following:
- OamyOamy (where I share my art)
- Creativity Matters Podcast (show information and #illustrateyourweek, #inktoportraits, and other challenges)
New to the CMP? Here are a few shows you might try:
- Snow Globe (457)
- Gratitude Cup (455)
- Five Minutes (454)
- Summer Series (445)
- When You Want to Quit (440)
- Panning for Gold (290)
- Red Sun (257)
- Here (319)
- Find a Penny (298)
- Teapots in a Tree (383)
- Slice of Life Contour (356)
- Olive Jars (436)
- Love What You Do (244)
- Illustrated Journal (367)
- The Moments within the Moments (197)
- Scroll Your Feed (362)
- View all podcasts
Listen to Episode 459
(This episode is available in many of your favorite podcast players.)
- Moleskine Art Sketchbook (what I WAS using for regular drawing and my illustrated journal)
- Moleskine Art Sketchbook (the REALLY big one — A3 (11.75″ x 16.5″ — I am now using this for my illustrated journal)
- Preppy Fountains Pen 02 – this is one of the best starter/inexpensive fountain pens you can buy!
- Preppy Fountain Pens 03 (multi set)
- Lamy Safari – always a good choice
- TWSBI Eco – my favorite fountain pen in the starter range (although I love my TWSBI Iris Vac even more)
- Dip Pen holder I’ve been using (with maru nibs)
- PILOT Iroshizuku Bottled Fountain Pen Ink (multiple color options)
- Diamine Fountain Pen Ink (multiple)
- Noodler’s Fountain Pen Ink (multiple)
- Monteverde Fountain Pen Ink (multiple)
- Colorverse Fountain Pen Ink (multiple)
- Platinum Carbon Black ink (what’s in my fountain pen)
- Sktchy app for inspiration photos
- Micron 08 (larger nib good for thicker lines or filling in small-medium spaces)
- Micron 01 (favorite for drawing)
- Micron Sampler
- Notes on large format sketchbooks
- ROYGBIV supplies: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet
- Uni-Gel Alpha Shaker pencil (mine is listed as “slightly firm” – but it’s super cushy; they do come in other softness/hardness ratings. I really do love this shaker!)
- Pentel Hi-Polymer Block Eraser, Large, White (these things disappear like socks; you can never have too many white erasers lying around)
- Patreon page – support the CMP
- Buy me a Coffee with Ko-Fi
- Start your shopping at Amazon here
- Amazon wishlist
- Start your shopping at Amazon with a CMP link
- Creativity Matters at YouTube (please follow!)
- Creativity Matters Group at Facebook
- oamyoamy at Instagram
- Creativity Matters Podcast at Instagram
- Try Creative Bug with the Living a More Creative Life: 30 Ways in 30 Days class
- Guitar music: Nicholai Heidlas on SoundCloud