Episode 463 of the CMP, a Creativity Matters Podcast — Creative Nooks and Crannies, and a Lemon Curd and Crumpets Approach to Illustrated Journaling + Musings on “Enough” and expanding versus shrinking.
For the most part, this episode is a bit of a free-wheeling essay that snakes around issues of creative life, memory, numbers, tracking, planning, and more. It’s essay-ish in nature, with maybe a bit of the Jabberwocky thrown in. It’s not a polished piece, not a finished piece, not a piece that will necessarily ever be more than what it is — creative and philosophical musings. Is enough enough? Is enough boring? Is zero enough? Does life continue to expand or does it continue to shrink?
There is some illustrated journal talk (about #illustrateyourweek) and some stitch journal talk (because the icons really have proven to be a huge challenge). (For more about the embroidery stitch journal, see Episode 459 and Episode 460.)
Before getting there, you’ll hear a short list of nudges to get you inspired, to push you to shake up your routine, or to take a small creative step because you’re worth it. Among these nudges, I talk about:
- The CMP book club (at Facebook) – We are reading Kitchen Front for April. Previous books have been The Authenticity Project, The Keeper of Lost Things, and The People We Keep. Discussions happen once a month in the Facebook group.
- Drawing with other people via Zoom – Sign up for the newsletter to be notified of open dates and join me sometime for a casual hour of weekend drawing.
- The “month list” I posted at Instagram for April
- And more
Thank you for listening to the CMP.
View this post on Instagram
Newsletters, Mailings, and the Drawing Group
I have wiped out the old mailing list. If you are interested in receiving newsletters or learning more about drawing group opportunities, etc., please sign up.
I have been drawing with people on and off over the last two years, and it is an easy and low-key way to connect with others that I really enjoy. I am opening up some of my drawing sessions to others who want to try it. I will announce open sessions via the email list. Please do sign up, and please also check your spam folder to make sure emails from the Creativity Matters Podcast don’t land there.
Support the CMP
If you enjoy the podcast, I hope you will consider showing support of the Creativity Matters Podcast, I encourage you to consider:
Thank you to those of you who have supported the CMP, just as you support other creators and sources of inspiration and guidance when you buy books, sign up for paid workshops and classes, and purchase small works of art from the artists you follow. Support from some of you through the years has made the show possible.
Follow at Instagram and YouTube
Please consider following:
- OamyOamy (where I share my art)
- Creativity Matters Podcast (show information and #illustrateyourweek, #inktoportraits, and other challenges)
New to the CMP? Here are a few shows you might try:
- Snow Globe (457)
- Gratitude Cup (455)
- Five Minutes (454)
- Summer Series (445)
- When You Want to Quit (440)
- Panning for Gold (290)
- Red Sun (257)
- Here (319)
- Find a Penny (298)
- Teapots in a Tree (383)
- Slice of Life Contour (356)
- Olive Jars (436)
- Love What You Do (244)
- Illustrated Journal (367)
- The Moments within the Moments (197)
- Scroll Your Feed (362)
- View all podcasts
Listen to Episode 463
(This episode is available in many of your favorite podcast players.)
- Moleskine Art Sketchbook (what I WAS using for regular drawing and my illustrated journal)
- Moleskine Art Sketchbook (the REALLY big one — A3 (11.75″ x 16.5″ — I am now using this for my illustrated journal)
- Preppy Fountains Pen 02 – this is one of the best starter/inexpensive fountain pens you can buy!
- Preppy Fountain Pens 03 (multi set)
- Lamy Safari – always a good choice
- TWSBI Eco – my favorite fountain pen in the starter range (although I love my TWSBI Iris Vac even more)
- Dip Pen holder I’ve been using (with maru nibs)
- PILOT Iroshizuku Bottled Fountain Pen Ink (multiple color options)
- Diamine Fountain Pen Ink (multiple)
- Noodler’s Fountain Pen Ink (multiple)
- Monteverde Fountain Pen Ink (multiple)
- Colorverse Fountain Pen Ink (multiple)
- Platinum Carbon Black ink (what’s in my fountain pen)
- Sktchy app for inspiration photos
- Micron 08 (larger nib good for thicker lines or filling in small-medium spaces)
- Micron 01 (favorite for drawing)
- Micron Sampler
- Notes on large format sketchbooks
- ROYGBIV supplies: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet
- Uni-Gel Alpha Shaker pencil (mine is listed as “slightly firm” – but it’s super cushy; they do come in other softness/hardness ratings. I really do love this shaker!)
- Pentel Hi-Polymer Block Eraser, Large, White (these things disappear like socks; you can never have too many white erasers lying around)
- Buy me a Coffee with Ko-Fi
- Start your shopping at Amazon here
- Amazon wishlist
- Patreon – support the CMP
- Start your shopping at Amazon with a CMP link
- Creativity Matters at YouTube (please follow!)
- Creativity Matters Group at Facebook
- oamyoamy at Instagram
- Creativity Matters Podcast at Instagram
- Try Creative Bug with the Living a More Creative Life: 30 Ways in 30 Days class
- Guitar music: Nicholai Heidlas on SoundCloud