Episode 468 of the CMP, a Creativity Matters Podcast — A continuation of the discussion on loosening up, staying loose, and balancing the loose and the tight in your art, sketchbooks, and creative processes.
Note: This is part 2 of 2. To catch the first part, listen to Episode 467.
Can it all coexist on the page, the loose and the tight? That’s the discussion underway in this pair of episodes.
The previous show started with the feeling of being too tight on the page, too tight in how I am thinking about my pages (which is always something I caution). This conversation is about loose vs tight and noticing when we feel like we are tripping all over our own expectations or getting in our own way and hindering our creative flow.
In this episode, I talk about two specific sketchbooks I pulled out, how they related to the early days of my illustrated journaling (specifically with the start of the 50 Before 50 sketchbook series that has now ended up the #illustrateyourweek series), and how it feels like I’ve tightened up.
These two sketchbooks involve a 100-day project (started as that) doing simple (and loose) one-line contour drawings of people and a sketchbook in which I was recording my days using a graphic novel (or cartoon) style.
At the end of the show, I’ve got 10 simple suggestions for exercise you can do to try and loosen up if you feel you are tight on the page or if fear of the page is keeping you from using the page (which is a version of feeling tight).
This previous show came up:
Newsletters, Mailings, and the Drawing Group
If you are interested in receiving newsletters or learning more about drawing group opportunities, etc., please sign up.
Support the CMP
If you enjoy the podcast, I hope you will consider showing support of the Creativity Matters Podcast. I encourage you to consider:
Thank you to those of you who have supported the CMP, just as you support other creators and sources of inspiration and guidance when you buy books, sign up for paid workshops and classes, and purchase small works of art from the artists you follow. Support from some of you through the years has made the show possible.
Follow at Instagram and YouTube
Please consider following:
New to the CMP? Here are a few shows you might try:
- Snow Globe (457)
- Gratitude Cup (455)
- Five Minutes (454)
- Summer Series (445)
- When You Want to Quit (440)
- Panning for Gold (290)
- Red Sun (257)
- Here (319)
- Find a Penny (298)
- Teapots in a Tree (383)
- Slice of Life Contour (356)
- Olive Jars (436)
- Love What You Do (244)
- Illustrated Journal (367)
- The Moments within the Moments (197)
- Scroll Your Feed (362)
- View all podcasts
Listen to Episode 468
(This episode is available in many of your favorite podcast players.)
- Moleskine Art Sketchbook (what I WAS using for regular drawing and my illustrated journal)
- Moleskine Art Sketchbook (the REALLY big one — A3 (11.75″ x 16.5″ — I am now using this for my illustrated journal)
- Preppy Fountains Pen 02 – this is one of the best starter/inexpensive fountain pens you can buy!
- Preppy Fountain Pens 03 (multi set)
- Lamy Safari – always a good choice
- TWSBI Eco – my favorite fountain pen in the starter range (although I love my TWSBI Iris Vac even more)
- Dip Pen holder I’ve been using (with maru nibs)
- PILOT Iroshizuku Bottled Fountain Pen Ink (multiple color options)
- Diamine Fountain Pen Ink (multiple)
- Noodler’s Fountain Pen Ink (multiple)
- Monteverde Fountain Pen Ink (multiple)
- Colorverse Fountain Pen Ink (multiple)
- Platinum Carbon Black ink (what’s in my fountain pen)
- Sktchy app for inspiration photos
- Micron 08 (larger nib good for thicker lines or filling in small-medium spaces)
- Micron 01 (favorite for drawing)
- Micron Sampler
- Notes on large format sketchbooks
- ROYGBIV supplies: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet
- Uni-Gel Alpha Shaker pencil (mine is listed as “slightly firm” – but it’s super cushy; they do come in other softness/hardness ratings. I really do love this shaker!)
- Pentel Hi-Polymer Block Eraser, Large, White (these things disappear like socks; you can never have too many white erasers lying around)
- Buy me a Coffee with Ko-Fi
- Start your shopping at Amazon here
- Amazon wishlist
- Start your shopping at Amazon with a CMP link
- Creativity Matters at YouTube (please follow!)
- Creativity Matters Group at Facebook
- oamyoamy at Instagram
- Creativity Matters Podcast at Instagram
- Try Creative Bug with the Living a More Creative Life: 30 Ways in 30 Days class
- Guitar music: Nicholai Heidlas on SoundCloud