Episode 452 of the CMP, a Creativity Matters Podcast — The Best Story children’s book has a “from the heart” message for all of us about authenticity
The Best Story, a children’s book by Eileen Spinelli and illustrated by Anne Wilsdorf, is a charming story of a girl who tries to write a story that will appeal to everyone and finally realizes that the best story is the one that comes from the heart.
I really enjoyed this story, and I think the message is a powerful reminder that we should all be making art from the heart rather than trying to make art that fits into what we think the world at large expects, values, and wants.
- The Best Story by Eileen Spinelli (Author), Anne Wilsdorf (Illustrator)
- Another Day as Emily by Eileen Spinelli
- When You Are Happy by Eileen Spinelli
- Someday by Eileen Spinelli
- I finished book 6 in the Realm of the Elderlings series (by Robin Hobb). I have book 7 to start, but I am taking a graphic novel breather with some downloads from Hoopla.
- I finished listening to The Last, by Hanna Jameson. I’ve got several things downloaded now at the recommendation of people in my weekend drawing group. I’ve started A Study in Charlotte.
- I finished Marco Polo and then watched On the Verge. I watched the new Cinderella, too. But most nights, I’m listening to a book or nothing – and don’t even turn the TV on.
- October is coming, and I hope to post the #Inktoportraits list I’ll be using later this week (mid-September).
- We are now in Week 37 of 2021… so Week 37 in my illustrated journal for #illustrateyourweek.
Support the CMP
If you enjoy the podcast, I hope you will consider showing support of the Creativity Matters Podcast, I encourage you to consider:
Thank you to those of you who have supported the CMP, just as you support other creators and sources of inspiration and guidance when you buy books, sign up for paid workshops and classes, and purchase small works of art from the artists you follow. Support from some of you through the years has made the show possible.
Follow at Instagram and YouTube
Please consider following:
- OamyOamy (where I share my art)
- Creativity Matters Podcast (show information and #illustrateyourweek, #inktoportraits, and other challenges)
New to the CMP? Here are a few shows you might try:
- Summer Series (445)
- When You Want to Quit (440)
- Panning for Gold (290)
- Red Sun (257)
- Here (319)
- Find a Penny (298)
- Teapots in a Tree (383)
- Slice of Life Contour (356)
- Olive Jars (436)
- Love What You Do (244)
- Illustrated Journal (367)
- The Moments within the Moments (197)
- Scroll Your Feed (362)
- View all podcasts
Listen to Episode 452
(This episode is available in many of your favorite podcast players.)
- Moleskine Art Sketchbook (what I’m using for regular drawing and my illustrated journal)
- Moleskine Art Sketchbook — the REALLY big one — A3 (11.75″ x 16.5″)
- Preppy Fountains Pen 02 – this is one of the best starter/inexpensive fountain pens you can buy!
- Preppy Fountain Pens 03 (multi set)
- Lamy Safari – always a good choice
- TWSBI Eco – my favorite fountain pen in the starter range (although I love my TWSBI Iris Vac even more)
- Dip Pen holder I’ve been using (with maru nibs)
- PILOT Iroshizuku Bottled Fountain Pen Ink (multiple color options)
- Diamine Fountain Pen Ink (multiple)
- Noodler’s Fountain Pen Ink (multiple)
- Monteverde Fountain Pen Ink (multiple)
- Colorverse Fountain Pen Ink (multiple)
- Platinum Carbon Black ink (what’s in my fountain pen)
- Sktchy app for inspiration photos
- Micron 08 (larger nib good for thicker lines or filling in small-medium spaces)
- Micron 01 (favorite for drawing)
- Micron Sampler
- Notes on large format sketchbooks
- ROYGBIV supplies: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet
- Uni-Gel Alpha Shaker pencil (mine is listed as “slightly firm” – but it’s super cushy; they do come in other softness/hardness ratings. I really do love this shaker!)
- Pentel Hi-Polymer Block Eraser, Large, White (these things disappear like socks; you can never have too many white erasers lying around)
- Patreon page – support the CMP and get access to some special things
- Buy me a Coffee with Ko-Fi
- Start your shopping at Amazon here
- Amazon wishlist
- Start your shopping at Amazon with a CMP link
- Creativity Matters at YouTube (please follow!)
- Creativity Matters Group at Facebook
- oamyoamy at Instagram
- Creativity Matters Podcast at Instagram
- Try Creative Bug with the Living a More Creative Life: 30 Ways in 30 Days class
- Guitar music: Nicholai Heidlas on SoundCloud